3:13 PM Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »
What's a Bottle Tree?


Have you ever seen a bottle tree? 



Aren't they cool! 
Bottle trees are a Southern folk tradition with the purpose of warding off evil spirits, while at the same time recycling colorful bottles.  I just like the way they look. 






Folk tales claim that the bottles trap bad spirits at night, which are then destroyed in the next morning's sunlight.  Sounds like a great idea to me!
Here's one made from a post with metal spikes to hold the bottles.






I've made my own version of a colorful bottle tree.  I have a crepe mrytle tree in my backyard that I add interesting glass objects to.  It's evolving into something that I've grown quite fond of.
I recently received a catalog from At West End with many clever, interesting items to inspire just about anyone!  They sell several iron bottle trees and one that even hangs from the eve of your porch!
 
Have you ever thought of making you own bottle tree?  I love how the sunlight shines through the colored glass.  I think it is a wonderful addition to your yard! You can use a living tree, a wooden post in the ground, a tree stump, or even metal rebar to create a tree form.



 Have fun and create a little of your own urban tree bling!!
                                                            
                                     

0 comments: